Spouse And Unmarried Partner Visa Application Advice and Consultant Services

Spouse Visa

This visa category is for those who are coming to the UK as the dependent of their partner where their partner is:  

  • A British National
  • An ILR holder
  • An EEA National with a status under the EU: Settlement Scheme
  • A Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa holder
  • A person with Refugee or Humanitarian Protection Status

In order to successfully apply, applicants must:

  • Prove that they and their partner are both aged over 18 years
  • Be legally able to marry or enter into a civil partnership under UK law or have an existing unmarried partnership that can be proven. For the purpose of this application, an unmarried partnership, also known as a relationship akin to marriage, is only formed if the partners have been living together for 24 consecutive full months immediately preceding their application.
  • Demonstrate that they have met their partner in person and that the relationship is genuine
  • Meet the suitability requirements
  • Show that any previous relationships have completely ended
  • Intend to live with their partner in the UK permanently
  • Meet the financial requirement. This requirement is currently £18,600 if only one family member is joining. If one non-British child is added to the application, the minimum income requirement increases to £22,400, and each additional child’s inclusion to the application requires a further £2,400 additional income. There are certain exceptions to this requirement.
  • Meet the English language requirement 
  • Meet the accommodation requirement. This requirement mandates that the family live in an uncrowded housing arrangement per the regulations set out in the Housing Act 2004.
  • Relationship requirement. This requirement mandates that the couple’s relationship must be genuine and subsisting. The couple must be able to present physical and digital evidence to prove so.
  • A tuberculosis test from the designated medical centres where relevant

Applicants are able to switch into this category if they are currently in the UK under another immigration category if the visa they had been issued was longer than 6 months. Visitor visa holders cannot switch even if their visas are longer than 6 months.

Let’s look at the highlights

Visa Duration

Successful applicants receive a 2.5 years visa if applied from inside the UK and 33 months if applied from outside the UK. They can extend it up to 2 times.


There are no additional maintenance requirements beyond the financial requirement.


For each extension application, all the requirements listed above must be met, and the couple must continue to be in a genuine and subsisting relationship.

ILR Rights

If eligible, the applicant can apply for indefinite leave to remain upon completing 5 years of stay.


The applicant may bring their child(ren) should they meet the requirements.

Waiting times and Costs

Waiting times vary depending on the application location. The cost of application includes visa application fee and Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) fee. The costs are to be calculated, including dependents and considering the up-to-date standard published rates. Application-related payments are payable upon submitting the online application form. Priority services are available for a faster decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

Sponsoring your partner is feasible as long as one or both of you meet the financial prerequisites for a Spouse Visa. Having a job isn’t obligatory; savings or other income sources (like rentals and investments) can fulfil these requirements.

Under present immigration rules, no duration limit applies to absences for partner and Spouse Visa holders. These visas are exempt from the 180-day absence rule needed for ILR. However, it’s important to note that these visas are intended for cohabitation, and prolonged absences might affect visa renewal or ILR application. Please also note that, at the stage of applying for British Citizenship, you will be required to meet absence threshold requirements.

Yes. Spouse visa holders can take up any employment as long as they comply with the UK labour laws.

No, individuals holding a Spouse Visa are ineligible to claim state benefits, encompassing universal credit, tax credits, or housing allowance.

Certainly, you have the option to include your child/children in your Partner and Spouse Visa application. This involves paying an extra application fee and presenting proof that you satisfy the supplementary financial income criteria for your children.

Need Help? Let’s Get in Touch

    To Top