This visa category is for those who are coming to the UK as the dependent of their partner where their partner is:
- A British National
- An ILR holder
- An EEA National with a status under the EU: Settlement Scheme
- A Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa holder
- A person with Refugee or Humanitarian Protection Status
In order to successfully apply, applicants must:
- Prove that they and their partner are both aged over 18 years
- Be legally able to marry or enter into a civil partnership under UK law or have an existing unmarried partnership that can be proven. For the purpose of this application, an unmarried partnership, also known as a relationship akin to marriage, is only formed if the partners have been living together for 24 consecutive full months immediately preceding their application.
- Demonstrate that they have met their partner in person and that the relationship is genuine
- Meet the suitability requirements
- Show that any previous relationships have completely ended
- Intend to live with their partner in the UK permanently
- Meet the financial requirement. This requirement is currently £18,600 if only one family member is joining. If one non-British child is added to the application, the minimum income requirement increases to £22,400, and each additional child’s inclusion to the application requires a further £2,400 additional income. There are certain exceptions to this requirement.
- Meet the English language requirement
- Meet the accommodation requirement. This requirement mandates that the family live in an uncrowded housing arrangement per the regulations set out in the Housing Act 2004.
- Relationship requirement. This requirement mandates that the couple’s relationship must be genuine and subsisting. The couple must be able to present physical and digital evidence to prove so.
- A tuberculosis test from the designated medical centres where relevant
Applicants are able to switch into this category if they are currently in the UK under another immigration category if the visa they had been issued was longer than 6 months. Visitor visa holders cannot switch even if their visas are longer than 6 months.