Individuals applying under this category would:
- Currently have permission to be in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or settled person
- Have lived in the UK for two years under this category
- Still be planning to live with and be together with their British citizen or settled person partner.
For applicants who stayed in the UK as an unmarried or same-sex partner and now want to settle in the UK as the husband, wife or civil partner of the same person, the two year qualifying period will have started on the later of:
- The date when the applicant received permission to remain in the UK as an unmarried or same-sex partner or
- The date on which you arrived in the UK.
Applicants are also required to demonstrate that they have a good knowledge of language and life in the UK. This can be achieved by:
- Passing the ‘Life in the UK test’ (English speakers) or
- Passing a course in English for speakers of other languages which involves citizenship material (Non-English speakers).