This visa category is for those who are coming to the UK as the dependent of their British national
or settled (ILR holder) spouse or unmarried partner.
In order to successfully apply, applicants must:
- Prove that they and their partner are both aged over 18 years
- Be legally able to marry or enter into a civil partnership under UK law or have an existing unmarried partnership that can be proven
- Demonstrate that they have met their partner in person and the relationship is genuine
- Meet the suitability requirements (i.e. applicant is being deported or has a prison record, it is in the public interest to not be admitted to the UK, the applicant has outstanding bills or cannot be admitted for medical reasons or the applicant has not met requests of UKVI).
- Show that any previous relationships have completely ended
- Intend to live with their partner in the UK permanently
- Meet the financial requirement. This requirement is currently £18,600 if one family member is joining. If one non-British child is added to the application the minimum income requirement increases to £22,400 and each additional child's inclusion to the application requires further £2,400 additional income. There are certain exceptions to this requirement.
- Meet the English language requirement (speak English to the required level). This requirement for first-time applicants is A1, in the extension application the required level is A2 and in the indefinite leave to remain B1. Only the certificates from the designated English Language test centres are accepted. Some degree qualification can be accepted towards meeting this requirement. Some countries where the official language is English are exempt from this requirement and there are further exceptions in line with the applicant's health and age.
- A tuberculosis test from the designated medical centres where relevant
Applicants are able to switch into this category if they are currently in the UK under another immigration category if the visa they had been issued was longer than 6 months. Visitor visa holders cannot switch even if their visas are longer than 6 months.
Fees and Processing
This category requires an application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge payment unless you are exempt. Application fees are regularly updated by the Home Office. We will inform you about the incurring fee before you start your case with us. Home Office reaches a decision with your application within 8 weeks, however, this processing time can vary from time to time and we have noted that overseas applications to join the family from outside the UK are concluded around 3 weeks. There are added value services to prioritise your case.
For more information regarding the application process, the documents required and fees, please contact us on 00 44 (0) 7948721767 or at email@example.com.