Scale Up Worker Visa Advice and Consultant Service


What is the Scale Up Worker Visa?

The Scale-up Worker visa allows you to come to the UK and work for at least six months in an eligible position for a fast-growing UK company (also known as a “scale-up business”). 

Launched in August 2022, the Scale-up Worker visa is designed to make it simpler for UK companies experiencing significant growth to attract the best-skilled labour around the world.

Unlike other visas, the regulations let those with Scale-up Worker visas leave their sponsored post after six months and go to an unsponsored role.

The candidate will need a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) issued by an authorised Scale-up Sponsor to be eligible for this visa.

If the sponsor fulfils the criteria of a Scale-up Business and wishes to employ migrants in this category, they must obtain the required licence first.

As OISC-regulated advisers, we provide the required support to eligible businesses with their sponsorship registration to become a Scale-up Sponsor. Once the sponsorship registration is complete, the Company can go ahead and issue the required CoS certificate that the applicant requires to apply for a Scale-up Worker Visa.

If granted, holders of Scale-up Worker visas may stay for an initial term of 2 years and can extend for an additional 3 years. 

UK Scale-up Worker visa requirements

The following Scale-up Worker visa eligibility conditions for UK applicants must be met:

  • have a job offer from an approved Scale-up business lasting a period of at least 6 months
  • have a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from their employer
  • have a job on the list of eligible occupations
  • meet the minimum annual salary requirement or the ‘going rate’ for the type of work
  • meet the English language requirements
  • have sufficient funds to support themselves

Scale-up Worker visa sponsored route and unsponsored route

One of the distinctive aspects of the Scale-up Worker visa is the ability to change jobs or employers without sponsorship after the initial six months in the UK. Given that the majority of firms in the UK do not own sponsor licences and, as a result, the variety of job alternatives becomes substantially greater, this affords substantial flexibility for holders of Scale-up Worker visas.

After six months, those who change jobs or employers are not required to submit a new visa application. But if you want to extend your visa, you’ll still need to meet the wage standards.

However, those who wish to switch employers during the first six months of receiving their Scale-up Worker visa must inform the Home Office by submitting an online application to amend their Scale-up Worker visa. It’s crucial to remember that your new role with your new employer must still be on the list of eligible occupations.

How can we help?

Our immigration lawyers can handle any matters relating to the new Scale-up Worker visa and Scale-up Sponsorship. Contact our team to evaluate your circumstances and how we can assist you in your licence or visa application

Let’s look at the highlights

Eligible jobs for Scale-up Worker visa

The applicant must have a position on the relevant list of qualifying roles in order to get a Scale-up Worker visa. For each role, a 4-digit occupation code should be checked to determine the applicant’s eligibility.

Scale-up Worker visa minimum salary requirements

As a Scale-up Worker visa applicant, must be paid whichever is the higher of the following: £34,600 per year or the ‘going rate’ for your job. The going rate for each job can be found on the ‘going rates” tables published by the Home Office.

Scale-up Worker visa English language requirements

To meet the English language requirements for the Scale-up Worker visa, you must either: pass an approved English test at CEFR level B1 or higher, have a degree or higher taught in English, or have a school level qualification gained by studying at a UK school that you began when you were under 18, or come from an eligible country


Scale-up Worker visa route allows your spouse and children to join you or stay with you in the UK as dependents.

ILR Rights

Holders of a Scale-Up Worker visa and their dependents may be eligible to obtain indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after 5 consecutive years of residence in the UK. You must meet the requirements for ILR, such as living in the UK continuously, which means you cannot have spent more than 180 days outside the country in any given year.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Scale-up Worker Visa allows individuals to work in the UK for at least six months with eligible Scale-up Businesses. To be eligible, you must have a job offer from an approved Scale-up business, possess a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), meet specific salary and English language requirements, and have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay.

A Scale-up Business is an organisation that has experienced at least 20% annual growth in employment or total sales (turnover) and had a minimum of 10 employees at the outset of the three-year period. Your employer must be included as A-rated on the list of approved UK Scale-up Sponsors for a CoS to be issued.

To qualify for the Scale Up Worker Visa, your position must be on the relevant list of qualifying roles, each with a specific 4-digit occupation code. You can check the eligibility of your role by referencing these occupation codes published and updated by the Home Office before submitting an application.

Scale Up Worker Visa applicants must be paid either £34,600 per year or the ‘going rate’ for their job, whichever is higher. The going rate for each job can be found in the ‘going rates’ tables published by the Home Office.

Yes, the Scale-up Worker Visa route allows your spouse and children to accompany you or stay with you in the UK as dependents. 

Both visas are part of the Home Office’s points-based immigration system (PBS), and both require a sponsored job offer from a UK employer. Scale-up Worker visa holders have the option to switch to a new job or employer after 6 months and no longer need to be sponsored at this point; Skilled Worker visa holders must remain sponsored. The business’ sponsorship licence must be authorised under the relevant category to provide you the correct CoS.

Need Help? Let’s Get in Touch

    To Top